My boyfriend, Ludz, makes this super simple pasta sauce that tastes like fresh edible dreams.
For years I’ve watched him cook with intrigue in an attempt to decipher this magic recipe. Alas, my attempts had proved so futile that admitting defeat was the only option. Then, one day I had a brilliant idea….
I asked him for the recipe.
Vegan garlic bread is another one of those things that is non-existent in supermarkets but so easy to make. We usually attack this one together – with Ludz on pasta and me on garlic bread like a killer food based tag team.
Big Sauce Man Grand Pasta Sexay Pastista and Breadshaw. Yeah I went there.
You will need :
(For Ludz’s signature pasta)
- 500g Pasta
- 1kg Tomatoes
- 1 x Red onion
- 1 x Yellow / brown onion
- 4 Cloves garlic
- Fresh basil
- 1tbsp Tomato puree
- 1tsp Generic dried Italian herbs (I’m pretty sure this is the secret ingredient. ssh! )
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
(For my badass garlic bread)
- 1 pack Part baked baguettes (I used the mini ones this time for cuteness)
- 200g Dairy free spread (soooo many in the moo butter section)
- LOTS of garlic (I’d use 5/6 cloves but I’m a damn rebel so adjust to taste)
- 1tsp Chilli flakes (if you like it spicy)
- Salt and pepper
Are you ready?
First, garlic bread:
- If you don’t have a tag team partner to make your garlic bread while you do the sauce, you’d better prep it first (regardless, wrestler style spandex tight wearing is ESSENTIAL).
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C/400F.
- Add the spread, crushed garlic, seasoning and chilli flakes to a bowl. Mix.
- Make incisions in the bread about 2cm apart, stopping approx 2cm from the bread base (as pic below).
- Stuff as much of the spread mix as possible into the gaps. Your bread prep is done.
Aaaand for the Pasta:
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Chop 4 cloves of garlic, half the red onion and half the brown onion. Add to pan.
- Throw the tomatoes and the remaining halves of the red and brown onion into a blender. Blenderize.
- Add the tomato puree to the pan.
- When the tomato/onion mix is blitzed they’re ready to go to the pan party. Tomatoes often feel pretty socially awkward so prefer to arrive fairly smashed. I feel them.
- Things are getting rather wild, so we’d better calm it down. Add the herbs. Also, season.
- Boil and then simmer the sauce for 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, whack your bread in the oven and cook yo pasta as per pack instructions.
- Stir basil leaves into sauce then add drained pasta.
- Get those breads out.
- Sprinkle some vegan cheese on the pasta if you’re brave.
Now give me a hell yeah!