There will be times when you want to be a proud enchilada mama and make him from scratch. There will also be times when you just want to be a lazy little MF and throw together a tasty Mexican feast with minimal effort.
In honesty, the full recipe is so simple. I definitely recommend getting all fresh and making both the Enchilada Sauce and Guac. If you want to go store-bought, I won’t judge (or know for that matter, I’m not spying from your bushes).
You will need:
- 6 x Wholemeal or White Tortilla Wraps
- 3 x Sweet Potatoes
- 1 x 340g Can Sweetcorn
- 1 x 400g Can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g Spinach
- 2 x Garlic Cloves
- Enchilada Sauce (Fresh: See below for recipe / Lazy: use 500g jar store-bought)
- Guacamole (Fresh: See below for recipe / Lazy: use store-bought tub)
- 2 Tsp Chilli Flakes
- Chilies (Fresh or the pickled jar lads – up to you!)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
If you’re going down the ‘store-bought’ route skip past the liney section below.👇
For the Enchilada Sauce:
- 1 x Onion
- 3 x Garlic cloves
- 2 x 400g Cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter/Spread
- 1 Tsp Cayenne
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
To make the Enchilada Sauce:
- Add oil to a large pan and heat over a medium heat.
- Chop onion and garlic then throw into the pan. Cook for a few minutes until brown.
- Add vegan spread and stir until melted.
- Bang in your herbs and spices and give them a cheeky little stir.
- Finally, add the chopped tomatoes and season like you mean it. Simmer for 15 mins.
- Remove from the heat. Let him cool and then blend until smoooooooth. Easy!
For the Guac:
- 2 x Avocados
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Coriander
- 1 x Garlic Clove
- 1 x Tomato
- Salt & Pepper
To make the Guac:
- Mash those avocados with the lime juice.
- Chop the coriander, onion and tomato. Mince the garlic. Add everyone to the avo mix.
- Season well. Refrigerate until needed. DONE!
End of liney section 👆
To make the Enchiladas:
- Get that oven pre-heated – 200C/400F.
- Oil a baking tray.
- Dice the sweet potatoes. Mince the chilli. Add both to the baking tray with the chilli flakes and season well with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In a pan over a medium heat wilt the spinach.
- Add 1/3 of the enchilada sauce to a large bowl. Mix in the kidney beans, sweetcorn, spinach and the roasted sweet potato.
- Add 1/3 of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Whack a few spoons of the potato/bean/corn-y mix into a tortilla wrap. Roll up and place seam down into the saucy baking dish. Repeat for the remaining 5 wraps.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and scatter with chillis.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- When he’s a bubbly, crispy little beauty, take him out and blob on some guac. Sprinkle with coriander if you’re feelin’ chef-y.
Congratulations! It’s enchiladas! 👏