We all know that Pret are boss when it comes to lunchtime vegan options but, if you’re not feeling one of their health bowls, breakfast can be a struggle.
Pre-vegan life my favourite Pret item was the Mozzarella & Tomato Croissant. Basically, it’s a refined way to eat pizza for breakfast. No need to do a box drive of shame to retrieve the cold remains of last night’s pizza. It’s the perfect crime! 🍕 🥐
I decided to knock up a batch of copycats myself and the result was so tasty I just had to share.
I’m sure you’ll agree, Jus Rol ready-to-bake croissants are a bloody revelation! They’re pre-perforated into six triangles. To achieve the correct shape you need to start with a square of pastry. I ignored the vertical perforations and separated into three squares. This creates three massive croissants that you can half and share but I wouldn’t blame you for batting down the whole thing!
Alternatively, use a sheet of ready to bake puff pastry cut into quarters.
You will need:
- Jus Rol Ready-To-Bake Croissants
- 2 x Large Tomatos
- Tomato Puree
- Vegan Cheese, Grated (I used Violife Mozzarella)
- Mixed Dried Herbs (Italian, Oregano, Basil, Thyme would all work here)
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C / 375F
- Cut three slices of tomato and set aside. Dice the remaining tomato.
- Separate the croissant pastry into three squares. Rotate the squares so you have diamonds of pastry in front of you.
- Dollop 3 tbsps of tomato puree onto the first diamond and spread down the middle of the pastry.
- Sprinkle 1/3rd of the diced tomato on top of the puree.
- Scatter a bit of cheese on top of the tomato party.
- Add a shake of herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the two sides so the points slightly overlap in the middle.
- Top with a tomato slice and a little more cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining three squares. They should look something like this:
- Move to a baking tray and bake on the middle shelf for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Eat while warm!
🍕 🥐 🍕 🥐 Breakfast pizza perfection! 🍕 🥐 🍕 🥐